Volunteer opportunities are currently available in a variety of areas and we are recruiting now for our upcoming training sessions. Check the calendar for the next monthly orientation for new and prospective volunteers. If you are considering sharing your time and talent as a volunteer at the library, please come an orientation to find out more, or fill out a Volunteer Application, available in the library at the checkout desk or online here.
RSVP TO VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION » ONLINE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION »
There are many good reasons to volunteer at the Vernon Area Public Library. Share your love of reading, books, and libraries. Meet new people and network with community members. Use your professional skills, or enhance skills and gain work experience. Be a positive role model. Strengthen your local community. Show your support for the library and enhance library services and programs. Document service hours. Be healthier, happier and more connected. And have fun!
A variety of opportunities available, from public service to behind-the-scenes assistance. Some examples include:
- Clerical Support Help behind the scenes with office duties
- Community Outreach Help out at community events and visits to senior centers and homebound patrons
- ESL Volunteer Aide Assist instructors at English as a Second Language classes
- Special Projects Help prepare for programs or complete projects
- Media Maintenance Volunteer Help keep library materials and equipment clean and working well
- Volunteer Greeter Provide a welcoming and helpful presence
- Shelving Aide Assist with arrangement and order of materials
Flexible time commitments allow a tailored fit to your life: work weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or even just once. Full-day, or 2- or 4-hour shifts, morning, afternoon, evenings, weekends... we’ll find the right opportunity based on the library’s current needs and your skills, interests, and availability.
The placement process involves four basic steps:
- Application – available online or at the Checkout Desk
- Orientation to the Vernon Area Public Library District – offered monthly; times vary
- Interview and Placement – flexible times available
- Training – provides you with the knowledge you need for the position
If this sounds interesting to you, please contact Kathy Hayes, Coordinator of Volunteers, at 224-543-1409 or
, or come to the next Volunteer Orientation to explore how your gift of time and talent might help us with our next chapter.